3.1.b Identify, and troubleshoot IPv6 Addressing and Subnetting
The main RFC is 2460
How many addresses do we have with IPv6?
IPv6 is written as hexadecimal, they are separated by colons, and each field is 16 bits in size.
Thus each character in HEX = 4 bits
What are the 2 IPv6 address compression methods?
1. Leading 0’s in a field can be removed
example 2001:0001:…. can be 2001:1:
2. Double colons can be used to summarize 0’s across fields, however they can only be used once
example 2001:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 can be 2001::1
In Ipv6 the prefix length is written as a /xx, where xx being the decimal value for the leftmost bits that make up the network.
We have 4 address configuration methods in IPv6:
1. static configuration
3. stateful DHCPv6
4. stateless DHCPv6 (SLAAC + DHCP for DNS)
Configuring an interface for link local only requires enabling IPv6 on it via:
This does 3 things:
1. Tells the interface to configure a linklocal via eui-64, and perform duplicate address detection (DAD)
2. Tells the interface to jointhe appropriate multicast groups
3. Tells the interface to send out a router solicitation